Action Packed Night of Boxing at the Copper Box Arena


After an injury to IBF flyweight champion Sunny Edwards saw Saturday night’s bill scrapped, Louie Lynn turned out to be the main attraction on Friday night’s warm-up prospects show hosted  Queensberry Promotions at the Copper Box Arena.,. 

The bout ended at the end of the ninth round, after a clash of heads had left Lynn with a two-inch gash over his right eye. But while that injury is likely to keep Lynn out of the ring for some time, at least he kept his unbeaten record, although it was very close as Lynn was a relieved man after winning a split technical decision against Amin Jahanzeb in their featherweight ten-rounder

One judge, Olena Pobyvailo, scored it 86-85 to Jahanzeb, but the other two judges, Ian John Lewis and Robin Dolpierre, gave it 86-85 and 87-84 respectively for Lynn. 

The win extended Lynn’s unbeaten record to ten fights and saw him retain the WBC international silver belt. 

Elsewhere on the card southpaw Mark Chamberlain from Portsmouth, moved to 9-0 as a pro when Benjamin Lamptey was pulled out after the fourth round, having been on the canvas twice. 

Chamberlain looked on course for a quick night when he dropped Lamptey with an excellent chopping left hand in the second round, the Ghanaian only just beating the count.  

He was down again at the end of the fourth round, when he took a knee after being hurt by a right-left to the body, and while the bell sounded as he rose, he never came out for the fifth round. 

The night also saw Impressive light-heavyweight prospect Karol Itauma  win 40-36 points decision over Daryl Sharp, who showed plenty of character to go the distance with the former GB star. 

Joshua Frankham achieved his first stoppage win in his fourth professional bout as he beat Croatia’s Matija Petrinic in the second round. . 

Local super-featherweight Frank Arnold wated no time as he stopped Lee Glover in the first round, finishing the job with two big southpaw lefts that dropped Glover to the floor. 

Adan Mohamed was also in a rush, producing an impressive two-fisted barrage to stop Luke Merryfield in the second of a super-bantamweight four-rounder. 

Lightweight Callum Thompson, from Liverpool, is now 2-0 after a 40-35 points win over Dean Jones. 

Also going to 2-0 was Umar Khan, who was a 40-36 points winner over Luke Fash in an uneventful super-bantamweight four-rounder. 

Finally Khalid Ali, from London’s East End, made a successful debut as he stopped Dean Wilkinson after 1:26 of the fourth and final round at welterweight.

Overall the night was full of great entertainment and proved there is a lot of good prospects within the boxing divisions in the UK